"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Thursday, March 26, 2020

14-Day Art Journal Freebie

Julie Fei-Fan Balzer is hosting a free 14-day art journal series on her website. You have to join, but it's free. You can check it out here: balzerdesigns.com

First she makes a tiny journal - about 3" wide by 5" high. You take four pieces of paper 6"w  x 5"l and fold each in half lengthwise. (I used mixed media paper but it's not very thick and, if I did this another time, I would use watercolor paper to stand up to all the wet media she is using.) Whatever you want for a cover is also cut 6" x 5" (or even slightly larger) and folded. The pages are nested into the cover and then stapled along the spine. To reinforce the covers, the first page is glued to the inside of the front cover and the last page is glued to the inside of the back cover. This will give you 14 pages for the series.

I had a piece of fabric cloth leftover from a book cover I made a few years ago and it was almost the exact size! So that is what I used.




Every day Julie is posting another mini-tutorial (5-10 minutes) for a technique. I think today is the third day, but I've done two so far.

The first (on the left) was using oil pastel as a resist with acrylic paint. I had recently decluttered my oil pastels, so I used a white crayon. I don't think it resulted in as nice a resist as hers did, but it was a lesson learned!



The second (on the right) used two layers of acrylic paint. The first layer was dried thoroughly before painting on a thick layer of the second paint. Then before this dried it was scribbled into using a skewer. This technique is called "sgraffito."

This is an interesting and fun exercise, especially now when we are home-bound and looking for projects to fill the time. Hope you will join us and spend some time arting!

No comments: