"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Saturday, October 17, 2020

A few art journal pages

 It's been quite awhile since I've played in my art journals. I've been working so much with paper and collage that I decided this week that it was time to get messy again!

I took a mini tutorial/class from Tiare Smith online and these were two of the pages she showed. 



She provided the "coloring book" drawing above and I tore around it and adhered it to a page in my journal. I sealed it with clear gesso so the ink wouldn't run and the media I put on top would blend well. The background is just a few different colors of blue and green acrylic smeared randomly and then white gesso added with a brayer when it was dry.  I used Faber Castell Big Brush pens to color in the image. These are water soluble while wet but permanent when dry (they are India ink).  The big takeaway I got from Tiare for this page was that you don't have to color in each tiny space of an intricate pattern. A large swath of color is ok too.


For this page I started with one that I had already painted with an ivory acrylic paint. I experimented with my new Vicki Boutin art crayons I received from a friend for my birthday. These are much like many of the watercolor crayons on the market from different manufacturers. I found these to be very creamy and pigmented. I used them in three ways: first I used a wet paintbrush to pick up color from the crayons directly and then painted different areas of the background for a watercolor look; secondly I colored directly onto the page with the crayons and then used a wet brush to blend the pigment; and lastly I scribbled the black crayon on a non-porous surface and watered it down to splatter on the background with a brush.

It felt good to get back into mixed media!

No comments: