"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Friday, December 4, 2020

December Daily - How to Organize and First few pages

 Before I post my first several pages, I thought I'd mention how I organize the myriad of supplies I use for the December Daily journal. I gather "stuff" all year and reuse received Christmas cards, advertising catalogs and fliers, ribbons and tags etc. Nothing is wasted!

I have a box of full-sized papers (which I rarely dip into as I have loads of scraps!) and one for scrap papers.  I also have a box of Christmas ribbons and a pouch of Christmas washi tape. I use several different methods to sort the many smaller embellishments.

Sometimes I separate the journaling cards (3x4 and 4x6) and assorted similar-sized paper ephemera into ziplock baggies or small baskets. One year I bought small plastic tubs (approximately 4x4) from the Target $ Spot and placed them all in a larger box for separating small embellishments. I've used a muffin tin also - great for the really little things. There are all kinds of ways to assemble your supplies but the important thing is for things to be easily seen, found and used!

The past few days I've been working on the cover, intro pages and days 1-4. I hope that seeing these might give you some ideas for your own journal. 



Cover - you can see I didn't embellish much other than adding
the JOY (from an old Christmas card) and alpha stickers. I loved the
paper on the front and didn't want to cover it. At some point
I might add some dangles to the spine and maybe a flower or ribbon
to the elastic.


The inside front cover has a Christmas countdown card on which I'm adding tiny sparkly stickers (had these for at least ten years - time to use up) for each day and the title is cut from a recent James Avery catalog. The right page is a decoupaged napkin which I also didn't want to cover. I printed a list of things to forget from this dreadful year on vellum and used 2 layers of washi tape to attach it.


Page 1 highlights the arrival of my grand boys' Elf on the Shelf.
He is in a quarantine house which my daughter made. The boys loved
it - he even has a tiny mask! I diecut the tag for a journaling spot.
Page 2 has a pocket in which I added our Christmas photo card for
this year. Underneath I journaled on the patterned paper.



Page 3 is a paper sack used as a pocket for this year's card list. Inside is a
tag made from scrapbook paper with the typed list.
No. 3 cut from an Authentique paper pad and Merry Christmas washi tape.
On Page 4 I attached the very first Christmas card that just arrived. It's a 
handmade postcard inside a decorated glassine bag. I made the paper clip
using a tiny piece of scrapbook paper.


Page 4 on the right with card removed. I die cute the ornament
for a journaling spot.

1 comment:

SewPaperPaint said...

Susan, it's just amazing! I love every single layer and the general style you've accomplished. Such a work of heART! Christmas hugs, Autumn