"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Retreat Projects

Every year for the past 15 years, the online art group I am a member of meets in Grapevine, TX, for a four-day retreat. Members come from all over the US. Due to the pandemic, it has not been held the past two years but we were able to resume this year. Each year has a theme and projects mainly coordinate with that theme. Everyone also makes their own book following the theme. This year's theme was "Get Your Kicks on Route 66."

Here are some of the projects/make'ntakes we did.

This was the altered tin I "taught" - I've posted this before.




"Make 'n Take" Cards and Tags




And more ... on the left is a gift card holder - the cup "lid" slides out to reveal slots for the card; on the right is a center-fold card - the  focal image slides down the center to keep it closed.





And a large box card. So fun to make. This one I'm keeping for my grandson's 
upcoming 10th birthday. He'll get a kick out of it.





A folder one member gifted everyone. 



It opens up to reveal several pockets for stickers and playing cards and the center portion holds several Route 66 postcards.





Another member gifted everyone this booklet to hold the 4" x 6" postcards we each brought to trade (showcasing our own state).




And yet another member took photos of each of us along with a group photo and presented them to us in this little keepsake folder.




And, finally, this is the little Route 66 book I created.




In my ongoing effort to use up my stash, I found a 5" x 7" chipboard ring album and covered the front and back covers with a piece of fabric I found at Joann's. I cut out part of the fabric, sewed it onto a piece of burlap and mounted that to the front. The closure is a wheel I pulled off a matchbox car and used a rayon ribbon for the tie.  I tied several ribbons and strips of different Route 66 fabrics to the rings along with some old charms, a key and several stamped shrink plastic charms I made.


Close-up of rings/ribbons/charms




Inside front cover and a few pages. I used a double spread for each state that Route 66 traveled through. I printed Route 66 road signs for each state and "laminated" them back to back for side tabs.




Hope you enjoyed this little peek into our weekend art retreat! As always, it was tons of fun with great friends.



We are leaving for England tomorrow to visit our son who moved there over 2 years ago. Due to the pandemic, this is the first time we've been able to go, though he has been to the states several times since. We are looking forward to seeing the sights in London and then spending about a week in the countryside. My husband will be checking out his ancestral home and doing some genealogy research. I've scheduled a few posts during our time away. Enjoy.

No comments: