"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Friday, May 22, 2020

More Junk Journal Ephemera using "trash"

I have a problem! I hate to throw anything out that could possibly be upcycled! So my challenge is to make these rescued bits into something usable.

This is a tag from some clothing. It was interesting because it was a double tag and very sturdy.



I collaged all sides with some vintage wallpaper, a piece of doily and other papers. After rounding the corners, inking edges and tying a silky ribbon in the existing hole, it turned into a pretty little tag/journaling spot for a journal.


inside


This started out as an offcut strip of manila paper. I collaged very tiny bits of papers, fabrics and lace along the entire strip and then folded it into thirds like a matchbook. 




  I sewed in several pieces of plain paper when I sewed the smaller flap. That flap holds the top closed. This makes a cute little "notepad" to insert into a pocket in a journal for extra writing space.




These are "guest checks." They aren't vintage - I bought them at Walmart - but they make a nice size tag or journal card. I collaged over them with miscellaneous papers and old postage stamps, then sewed around the edges. The images are Tim Holtz's paper dolls. The left tag has a ruffle of sewing pattern tissue sewed along the top; the right tag has the stamps sewn on the front. The backs have plain paper attached for journaling.




This card came with a makeup sample. (I forgot to take a "before" photo.) It was too nice to pitch, so I collaged over it making sure to have the women's portrait positioned to show through the opening. 




Here is the card open. I attached a piece of paper-covered card stock at the bottom for sturdiness and to hold the top flap closed.




The back is just collaged. I love how this turned out - it's a nice journaling card to clip to a page or tuck into a pocket.




Always look at your "trash" with an eye to what it could become. Be environmentally-conscious and save stuff from the landfill!

No comments: