Wednesday and today I taught all about alcohol inks at my Blue House Art Group classes. We had alot of fun playing with many techniques. One was a resist technique using Archival black ink (for whatever reason this seems to only work with that ink). In a nutshell, you apply one or several colors of alcohol ink to acetate or any clear, non-porous surface. Once this is dry you stamp an image with Archival ink. Let the ink set on the surface for a minute but do not let it completely dry and then wipe the ink off. The ink will remove the alcohol ink below the stamped image. This is one of my favorite techniques and it's fun watching the clear image appear.
Once the class practiced this a few times, we made little charms/pendants with Ranger acrylic fragments. This was my sample:
We also had a fall-themed ATC swap. I used alcohol inks on a larger piece of glossy paper and then stamped the pumpkins with black Staz On. I cut these out and popped them on a fall-colored plaid paper over a small piece of frayed burlap. The stamp is an old Hero Arts stamp embossed with a "Chile Red Pepper" powder. I punched the tiny maple leaf in the upper right corner and edged the card with Krylon gold leaf pen.
These are the other ATCs that were swapped. I love how everyone interpreted "fall" differently.
Next month we will be creating a 10"x10" Christmas canvas. Can't wait to teach all the techniques I'll be using on that project.