Friday, March 30, 2007
I finally made some cards from the cardstock that I had "cuttlebugged" several days ago. The red heart card is actually white cardstock that I swiped with red chalk ink. The coppery Happy Birthday card is a piece of copper paper. I "painted" the black happy with a black Sharpie.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
I finished this collage today. It's 5" x 5" on masonite board. It's a birthday gift for a very dear friend. I'm also entering it in a collage challenge contest on another blog.
I first gessoed the board and then attached a piece of Tyvek paper I had stamped beforehand. I had a scrap left which I've also scanned. (This is a technique on Mary Jo McGraw's DVD where you ink Tyvek with several colors of dye ink and then overstamp with black permanent. Tyvek is the material that priority envelopes are made of - I recycle envies we receive, but you can also purchase this.)
I scraped on pink and blue acrylic paints with the edge of a credit card, then stamped different designs in Memories black permanent ink. I adhered a butterfly sticker, the image of two girls from the Internet, a crown cut from a page of an old book and two real postage stamps with gel medium. I added three turquoise Stickles dots on the points of the crown.
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Saturday, March 24, 2007
I made this card for a challenge. We were to use a stamp we'd had for awhile but not used before. I love photo stamps and have quite a few. This one came from Stampsmith. Because I stamped it on glossy, I was not able to get a good scan of it. This is a photo that came out better but is not great.
Hints for stamping photo stamps:
Clean a new stamp three or four times with stamp cleaner and a soft brush to remove any film left on it in the manufacturing process. Be sure the stamp is lint free before stamping. I like to turn the stamp over and ink with a brayer for best results. Dye inks that are "medium wet" are best. You will not get good impressions with a pad that is wet or very dry. I like Versafine Sepia, Memories Art Print Brown, or Archival Sepia best for an old photo look. Smooth paper and especially glossy paper give the best impressions. If the stamp is not cushioned, stamp with either a thick mousepad or a stack of papers or magazine under the paper to be stamped. The more you use the stamp, the better the impressions will get!
Friday, March 23, 2007
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Cut your cardstock to size and mist lightly with water. Place inside the Cuttlebug embossing folder. Set your pasta machine on the widest setting (mine is an inexpensive Amacho and I used the #7 setting). Insert the folder sandwich into the machine (I did it with the hinged side first, but it probably doesn't matter) and slowly turn the handle. Since the folder is a little longer than the distance from the pasta machine slot to the tabletop, you will need to gently bend and guide it so it clears the table. If you don't get a nice impression, you can try using the next largest setting as pasta machines may vary. Voila! Cuttlebug embossing without the CB!
Cut a piece of inexpensive "fun foam" (from children's crafts department) the size of the die cut folder. Again, cut your cardstock to size and mist lightly with water. Lay the cardstock on top of the foam and then place the die cut folder on top of both with the sharp, cutting edge down (the shiny side will be up). Run this sandwich slowly through the pasta machine as above, again starting with the widest setting. And voila! Cuttlebug die cuts without the machine! (Usually the die cuts will cut into the foam. You can reuse by turning the foam but at some point you will have to replace the foam.)
I understand that you can also use the brass dry-embossing templates in the pasta machine as well. I have not done this very successfully yet, but will post when I figure it out.
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
The other themes were: western; music; crosses; ladybugs; Dick and Jane; Asian; heritage (family tree) and friendship. Our swap is not yet completed so I will post the entire finished puzzle later. Here are the pieces I altered for everyone.
Monday, March 19, 2007
This is a "scrunchie" background technique I've been playing with. Sherre on the Art Techniques Yahoo group came up with this and it's loads of fun. (Check out her blog - sherresartmusings.blogspot.com) Basically, you take a magazine photo or page larger than the cardstock you are using and wad it up. Run the cardstock through the Xyron machine. Open the magazine page and flatten on the sticky side of the cardstock, smooshing it down with your fingers. Then brayer it and cut off excess. Apply inks directly to the paper - as much or as little as you like. You can also emboss with metallics. I love all the texture you get. This one started as a photo of grapes and leaves and I haven't decided what to do next. I kinda like it just as it is.This one is a finished "nature chunky book" page - 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" - for an e-bay auction to benefit Robin Whittemore of Easley, SC, who is fighting both cancer and astronomical medical bills. I added a torn flower from a napkin, some micro beads and letter stickers.
This is another finished page for a second chunky book auction, also for Robin, with a "tea" theme. I used gesso and inks randomly applied over patterned paper, stamping and my first ink jet transfer using gel medium. Actually, it's the second transfer as the first one didn't work and I sanded it off and applied a second one!