As I mentioned in my last post, we all created "junque" books for our annual retreat. The idea was to add pockets, envelopes, junk pages, etc to the book before going on retreat. You could make lists, notes, add copies of images from the web, stamp and/or color images to use at the retreat. Once there, we drew names and worked a spread in three other books. We had a limited time to create these pages so it was a challenge to come up with a layout that worked with that particular book as well as using whatever we had on hand. (Warning: lots of photos in this post!)
This is the cover of my book. I cut off the covers of an old book and glued on lace (water), muslin pieces (clouds), alpha stickers (title) and a paper punch (butterfly). Then I gessoed over the entire cover to hide the various colors of what I'd just glued down.
When that was dry, I started painting, glued down the corrugated cardboard and burlap for sand and added some shells. I added Stickles to the lace and butterfly, charcoal pencil around the clouds for shading and some paint and ink to the cardboard.
|Closeup - I love how that old, old lace worked perfectly for waves!|
This is the inside cover and first page. I used alot of "artist papers" (the insert pages from Stampington magazines) that I've been hoarding for years. The inside cover just has a vellum pocket to hold vintage images. The first page is torn in three places to form pockets for the tags on which I sewed old photos of my husband's grandmother.
Two more pages. The stamps on the left page are from a set by Artistic Outpost which are perfect for the vintage beach theme.
This spread was created in my book by Renee. The coral background is a page made with beautiful scrapbook paper.
This page was created by Teresa. I love that image of the two little girls!
Another pocket with shell images. The "Summer Dream" is cut from the June Southwest Airlines magazine, layered over strips of washi tape.
Love these pages. The small top right page is a restaurant coaster covered with VerDay paint. The paper slide was a giftie at the retreat which I covered with glue, sand and shells and added a vintage image inside. The brown pocket is a folded security envelope with a window. I added lots of ink and stamps from that same stamp set and a vintage beach image inside along with some tags.
This is the back of the envelope covered with some gorgeous paper by Lynn Perella. It's just paper but the starfish looks so dimensional.
This spread was created by Joyce. Lots of pretty stamps and texture on these pages.
On the left is a piece of Prima packaging with a tag clipped to it. The right page is another pocket with images tucked in.
I love this tag I made using a photo of my two grandsons at the beach in Florida over Christmas. The background is made with Tim Holtz's "Marbled Stain" technique using white, Tumbled Glass and Stormy Sky Distress Stains and overstamped with Vintage Photo and Pumice Stone. I dyed the silk ribbon with the two blue stains and added twine, shells, a tiny bottle with sand and a tiny tag. I die cut art metal for the "2" to symbolize the 2 boys.
Another spread. The right page with the palm tree was part of a wedding invitation we received (hey, this is a junk book, remember!) and I tore the Palm Beach girl from scrapbook paper. The sand is Vintage Photo embossing powder.
This vibrant page on the left is the back of the previous page using Spiced Marmalade and Picked Raspberry inks and the stamp set I'm in love with. The right page is an acrylic pocket I made held together with washi tape. It holds vintage photos of relatives at the beach.
And, last but not least, on the other side of the Prima packaging is the collaborative postcard we made at the retreat. Each of us started with a 4"x6" white card and divided it into four approximately equal sections. I just used straight horizontal lines, but there were some very creative divisions. I created one section (the girl on the bottom) and gave it to the person sitting to my left (Julie who worked the top section) and it continued to the left until finished. Alisha created the second section from the top and Annette did the third down. I love how well the designs coordinate. This is a fun exercise to get the creative juices flowing!