"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Monday, June 11, 2018

Another Altered Book Page before I go...

I'm leaving tomorrow for Stowe, Vermont, for two weeks. My mom lives there still (I grew up there) and is turning 90 on Friday. She is having a big party for all her friends and I will be there to help. 

Then the next week all my kids, their spouses, grand boys and my husband will arrive. We will be having a family celebration on the 23rd along with one of her two surviving, older sisters, a few nieces, two of my brother's kids and their significant others, and my two brothers. It will be quite the family reunion and a grand celebration of this very important milestone!

So I finished this altered book page today, though I should be packing! I won't be doing any art for the next few weeks so had to get my time in now.  This page has a cutout with a suspended corrugated cardboard heart. (I followed this video of LorriMarie Jenkins.)

The heart is cut from a piece of corrugated cardboard with added rusty book pages and Distress Ink.  The microscope slide on the front is one I've had for a long time and might have been received in a swap. I attached it with wire. On the back there is a vintage image cut from a scrapbook paper.

The background is collaged papers with texture paste through a stencil and watercolors.


Front of page with microscope slide attached with wire

Back of page 

I love the effect of the suspended heart. Now I will need to create something very interesting on the pages before and after this one as they will peek through!

I'll be back in a few weeks...

2 comments:

Linda Manning Findley said...

love this Susan ... can't wait to see what else you do with the other pages ...

sounds like the reunion will be awesome ... safe travels and have a fab time ...

Sue Kosec said...

I read this the other day and immediately left a comment but for some crazy reason, it just kept sitting there and not moving.

I love the corrugated heart. It's perfect!

So happy for you to be able to still have your mom with you. What a treat to have the family with you to celebrate her day. Safe travels.

xo
SuZeQ