"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Christmas Cone


This is a cone I just finished for friend Diann in an online swap. The gold paper at the top is not part of the cone - just in there for holding some little goodies.
I used a heavy chipboard-type cone I found at Michael's - looks much like the old thread cones. I spray-painted the inside gold and covered the outside with some Anna Griffin Xmas paper, then cut and glued a gold paper doily around the top and bottom.
The bottom of the cone was open, which posed a problem - how to make the cone come to a point? I found a little door hanger at the dollar store which had ribbons, bells, etc. hanging from a gold and red ring. I bought this thinking that I could use the bells for the bottom of the cone, but that didn't work. Serendipity - the ring fit the cone opening perfectly!! I took the top gold rim off one of the jingle bells, glued it in the hole in the bottom of the cone and added a tiny red glittery bell upside down to form the cone point.
I punched holes on either side of the cone with my trusty Crop-d-dile (love that tool for punching holes!) and knotted sheer ribbon through the holes for a hanger. I added rosettes made with the same ribbon to the sides and Stickles "jewels" to some of the snowflakes and the doily.

No comments: