"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Name Collage

I've been wanting to make a word collage of my daughter and son-in-law's last name for their new house.  You may have seen sites online for all kinds of photographs of typography but I didn't want to print them myself.  Several weeks ago I was browsing through Hobby Lobby and in the framing department they had these 4x6 postcards (in both black and white and full color) for each letter of the alphabet.  I picked up four to spell their name (Motz) but then spent weeks searching for the right size frame, to no avail. I finally found a funky, girly canvas on sale for half-price - white with colorful flowers and butterflies all over. (Wish I'd taken a "before" photo!) 

It was the perfect size so I painted it black and then decoupaged the postcards on the canvas with Mod Podge.  After it was dry, I added another coat of Mod Podge over the entire canvas, including the postcards.  I wasn't sure if the inks would run, but they didn't and my canvas turned out awesome! Can't wait to give it to them.



No comments: