"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Monday, February 19, 2018

DIY Travel Watercolor Kit

I came across a brilliant idea while surfing You Tube last week. Jennifer Charlee Art posted this video with a tutorial for making a travel watercolor kit from a Dollar Tree eyeshadow palette. You could also do this with any brand or an old palette you already have. I have seen other tutorials to make          one with Altoids tins but they were more complicated with having to make little inserts for the paints.

This eyeshadow palette was super cheap and perfect with 12 pans, so I purchased the same palette from Dollar Tree. I forgot to take a "before" photo of the palette but you can see it in Jennifer's video. And I already had a set of tube watercolors that I'd never used. 

Here is my finished palette and supplies.






If you are interested in doing this, do check out Jennifer's video linked above.  Basically you chip out the eyeshadows from the palette and clean it. Then fill each compartment with any liquid watercolors.(I had an old set of Niji watercolors I'd bought years ago but never used.)  Be sure to leave the compact open until the watercolors totally dry out. This may take a day or two.

I cut a small piece of watercolor paper to fit inside the lid for the color chart. At some point I may make a label for the cover to hide the original palette name. I may even cut off the handle of a watercolor brush to fit inside the compact.

This was fun to make and I will definitely use these watercolors now. This is small enough to fit in any purse and will be perfect for traveling! I love it!

Let me know if you make one!

1 comment:

Sue Kosec said...

Well now, IF I used watercolors, you know I would give this a try. Maybe one day I'll be dipping a paintbrush in water and paints.

Happy painting and traveling!
xo
SuZeQ