"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Another round robin page

I spent this afternoon working on another book for my local stamp club's round robin project. This is Karen's book with a theme of Heirloom Recipes. She wanted a family recipe with the story behind it.

I used my mother's recipe for raised donuts which she made all the time my brothers and I were growing up. We loved watching her work the dough and were always fascinated when they rose to double their size. And the best part was eating them fresh from the oven dusted with powdered sugar!

Since Karen loves the vintage look, I used an antiqued brown color scheme with a punch of red. The background is paper from Flair Designs called "Bake Off" - very appropriate for this. I distressed it and aged it with brown ink. The "Old Family Recipes" in the upper left corner is part of the paper - I covered it with a piece of mica and added the metal corner stickers.

I copied and reduced my mother's handwritten recipe, crumpled it and aged it. The baking utensils are all stickers. On the right page, I journaled on a little card, added a sticker at the top and tucked it inside a vellum envelope which I stamped. The little measuring spoons are a plastic embellishment I bought ages ago on which I tied some twill ribbon imprinted with cooking utensils.

The photo is of my mom in the early 1950's. I covered a slide holder with vintage wallpaper (I actually think we may have had something very similar in our kitchen back then) and used it as a frame for the pictures. I hope Karen will like it!




3 comments:

Linda Manning Findley said...

Oh it's WONDERFUL ....... love the theme and what you did is just awesome ...... Linda F

Denise said...

Susan this is soooo cool. I love the page it makes me think of my Great Grandmothers recipes I have. And some of my moms that I can incorporate into my heritage album. I really really like this page...Denise

The Blonde Duck said...

Your designs are wonderful! I'm just getting back into my mixed media work. This is so inspirational.