"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Fairy Tales


Last month my local art group started a fairy tale shadow box challenge. We were each given a small 5" wooden shadowbox which had a glass top and opened. We were supposed to alter the box using our favorite fairy tale. Tuesday night was the "reveal."

I chose Alice in Wonderland (not the new movie version, but the original classic). This is my finished shadowbox. The words "curiouser and curiuser" and Alice are on the front of the glass; everything else is inside the box. Several of the images are on dimensional pop dots to give depth. I painted wide blue stripes on a page from the book for the background. Most of the images are from a digital kit from ScrapArtist. I also added a real Queen of Hearts mini playing card, the brass crown and a sheer clock from Maya Road.

Here is a view of the inside (without the glare of the glass). I didn't notice that the word "time" had fallen off the clock until after I took this photo.


I papered the outside of the box with this red and white polka dot paper and painted the lid with black and white stripes. I also added this quote to the bottom of the box.


Tomorrow I will share the other members' boxes. They were all very unique!



5 comments:

Diann said...

I'm just loving your Alice in Wonderland piece of ART! Diann

Elaine Akers said...

Susan...I love all things Alice, and your shadowbox is just lovely. Great job.
Elaine
http://elaineakers.blogspot.com/

ShellyRaeWood said...

Susan, Wow, Wow, Wow. That is stunning. I LOVE Alice......your ART piece is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Linda Manning Findley said...

Love this Susan .... Alice has made such a big come back and your piece is wonderfuly inspiring ... Linda F

April Hummert said...

I love this, Susan! The black and white around the edge of the frame is the perfect touch...And I love that it actually opens!
April