"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Monday, November 2, 2015

Documented Life Project - Week 42

I'm back from visiting the grandbabies for Halloween and jumping into designing and creating for Christmas! Our Holiday Open House will be next week so lots to do before then!

I'm caught up on the Documented Life pages except for last week! Here's the spread for the week of October 17, still using the theme of translucent papers.

Week 42 - Oct. 17
Art Challenge: Vellum
Journal Prompt: Sheer Genius


I'm happy that vellum is making a comeback - it's fun stuff to work with. I dug out some old vellum sheets from my stash and even found some printed vellum I'd been saving (pansies). I wanted this spread to be light and airy so I used watercolors sparingly on the background, taking my color inspiration from the printed pansies. Have you ever tried leaving white space? It's really hard for a mixed media artist who loves texture and lots of mediums!

I stamped the butterflies with several colors of Brilliance ink - this is one of the few inks that dry well on vellum.  My ink pads are really old so I was pleasantly surprised that they still were juicy and stamped well.  I used Graphite Black which is a pretty grayish black with gold in it as well as Pearlescent Purple and Violet. The Brilliance colors are beautiful - wonder why you never hear of them now.

I stamped on the background where I wanted to adhere my butterflies and attached them only along their bodies so they would be dimensional and lift off the page. I also stamped more butterflies randomly over the background.

I used an old frame stamp for the days and computer generated the quote ("Only as high as I reach can I grow, Only as far as I seek can I go, Only as deep as I look can I see, Only as much as I dream can I be.") which was all I could come up with for the prompt.

I glued on small areas of pearl glass glitter to give the background some bling and used Wink of Stella in the centers of the flowers.

1 comment:

Sue Kosec said...

I agree on one thing: leaving white spaces IS difficult.

I disagree on one thing: working with vellum IS difficult (for me!)

But we will all agree that what you did is magnificent - again!
xo
SuZeQ