"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Monday, May 7, 2018

AG Retreat 2018

My annual retreat last week was as amazing as always. 19 ladies came from all over the US (California, Washington state, Utah, Florida, Louisiana, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Alabama and, of course, Texas). We are in an online art group and have been having this retreat in Grapevine, TX, for 13 years! I am lucky enough to only live about 10 miles away and have been to all except one (I got sick the night before that one).

We always have a theme and create a book according to that theme for one or two of the days. Some of the attendees do make-n-takes for everyone and we always have some kind of a swap. This year the theme was "Typography/Fonts" which stumped many of us. But it really was a wide-open theme and anything worked as long as there were letters involved.

Some of the tags I received in the swap (I posted about my tag in this post.):









Some card make-n-takes:



step-card

A coaster make-n-take made with Scrabble tiles, edged with copper tape and accented with copper foil. I still need to cover it with some type of varnish.



This is the canvas make-n-take I taught the group.  We covered the canvas with crumpled tissue paper, then glued on bits of corrugated cardboard, drywall tape, chipboard die cuts, chipboard letters, buttons and an old paintbrush. The entire canvas was then covered with black chalk paint and highlighted with Inka Gold metallic waxes in various colors.




This was a fabric-covered junk journal that one of the gals made for each of us! It is filled with 2 fat signatures of "junk" papers attached with ribbons and the pamphlet stitch. I can't believe she made 19 of these! Thanks so much Joan!



 I will share the book I made in another post. My theme was "Alice in Wonderland, which I've wanted to do for quite awhile."

Here are some of the make-n-takes we did on Thursday.

2 comments:

Sue Kosec said...

Wow. Just Wow.

Amazing that you've been doing this for so many years and so many people travel from so far to attend. And I can see why. Your projects and make-and-takes and giveaways are fantastic. Good for all of you.

I love your canvas and that junk journal? Ohmygoodness - and you're right ... 19? Wow again.

Lucky you!
xo
SuZeQ

BR said...

Wow, wonderful stuff. I really love the canvas art you taught. Makes me wish I was there.... Take care and keep in touch....