"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Revisiting Altered Books

I have made a few altered books before, but about a month or two ago I discovered a new (to me) mixed media/altered book artist, LorriMarie Jenkins, on You Tube.  I have been binge-watching her videos on altered books ever since. She teaches in person in California but also uploads tutorials on her channel.

I just finished a book using her videos for the different pages. I only had one book with a stitched spine when I started watching her and I had already removed many of the pages, so this book only has about ten spreads. It was way too much fun! The spreads below are in the order in the book, but not in the order of when I created them. I will try to link her video for each technique.




This spread has a background of watercolors dripped with alcohol. The left page has a magazine collage with a top layer of crackle medium.  The right page has a cut-out niche with a collaged "tile" tied in. I did not cut a window for this page as I had already made the page backing it. (adding tile video)





These two pages are collaged magazine images of women. The left page has a background similar to the first spread, but with acrylic paint and alcohol drips. (acrylic paint and alcohol)

The right page has a background of texture paste through a stencil, covered with black gesso and highlighted with gelato. It seemed to be missing something so I added painted book page circles.






This spread is collage over a background of torn book pages, music paper and patterned paper. Watercolor adds the colors. (collage technique)






This spread has two pockets. The background is painted and stamped. The pockets are adhered by tying torn fabric strips through holes along the edge. 

The three focal points are actual tea bags with vintage images sewn in. They were then dipped in beeswax. (pocket tutorial) (tea bags with beeswax)






The large focal images of this spread are image transfers over a collaged background of various papers. I added stamping and lots of doodles in white pen. (image transfers)





The left page above features a hinged "door" revealing a magazine image. A magnet is hidden behind the book pages on the back of the door and catches the metal charm to keep the door closed. (adding door to page)

The right page is a napkin collaged to a background of book pages and music papers. The Eiffel Tower is a stamp and I added dots with a white paint pen. (napkin collage)


Detail - door open





This spread has a pop-up vintage image featuring several men. The background is black gesso with rings stamped with white paint and a toilet paper roll. I added lots of metal gears and tied fibers close the pockets which create the pop-up. (pop-up technique)



Better view of pop-up






This is a double spread - a left page, right page and a page with an acetate window between.  The photo above shows the right page peeking through the stamped acetate window. (adding window, substituting acetate)

The photo below shows the left page showing through the window.







Center page with acetate window





This is the last spread. The background is several layers of acrylic paint, dripped with alcohol. Two microscope slides contain vintage images and are adhered to the background. I added some collaged images, half circles and some white dot doodling. (adding microscope slides)

No ideas for the cover yet so it is unfinished. 


 She is just beginning a new altered book. This series will only feature the backgrounds and the rest of the pages will be up to each person to complete as desired. I am going to follow along with this one, from start to finish. Here is the first video of the new series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0V3awQB-5c&t=2967s  Come play along with us!

3 comments:

Sue Kosec said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Susan. This is absolutely adorable and fantastic. I altered a book many moons ago (back when I didn't really know what I was doing - LOL!) The result was "so-so" but I enjoyed it. If only I had time to alter another one. In my spare time, you say? What's THAT?

Keep sharing - I'll live through you!
xo
SuZeQ

Linda Manning Findley said...

You have done a super job Susan ... these are all the techniques I taught but with wet media backgrounds ... love doing altered books ... I have watched a few of her videos and my muse was visiting but then again life took over, so my muse has hidden again ... maybe in June I can get her fired up again and do some experimenting ..... thanks for the heads up on this lady ...

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh my goodness Susan! These pages and your two covers are out of this world amazing! So much artsy goodness here to soak up - thank you! Hugs, Autumn