I've been working on this altered book for a few months, with lots of interruptions! Many of the backgrounds were done and I had to add focal points. And then the book was starting to fall apart so I dared not add any more spreads!
For the covers, I glued on wrinkled wrapping paper for texture, painted brown and then added the three Prima Rust Effect Pastes (Red Rust, Brown Rust and Brass) with a natural sponge. I sprayed with a clear coat to protect the texture and avoid it brushing off. The bookplate is very old - it may have been Basic Grey. I added the words cut from book text. I added a piece of patterned paper to dress up the spine and covered everything with a coat of Mod Podge to further seal it.
The first spread consists of three pages. The middle page has six small windows cut out and is covered with a large piece of mica which I attached with eyelets. The first and last page have six images each, cut from old Stampington magazines.
|Left page, spread one|
|Middle page of first spread|
|Right page, spread one|
|Middle page with mica attached|
The next spread is two distinct pages. The images on the left page are placed under old slide mounts altered with alcohol inks. There is gold foiling on the page but it's hard to see.
Left page with foiling
The right page is a packing tape image transfer laid over a spray mist scrap (thank you Gloria!). The butterflies are old puffy stickers someone gave me that had warped - they look like they're flying off the page!
Right page image transfer
This third spread was done with aluminum duct tape over textures, burnished to bring out the patterns and then painted with a black paint wash. The image on the right page was cut into thirds and I added glass microscope slides and copper tape to each section. I love this technique!
Left page with lots of textures
Right page with three microscope slides
I will be back tomorrow to share more spreads with you.