"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Friday, February 22, 2019

My Hong Kong Album

I think I've finally recuperated from jet lag from our Hong Kong trip - it was much worse coming back than going though I'm not sure why!  Then last weekend we met up with the entire family in Albuquerque since our son, Will, was in the States on business. I had intended to come home on Monday night but all the flights were full so had to return on Tuesday. Since then I have been working on a little memory album for our trip - before I forget everything!

I used a Traveler's Notebook which is 4 1/4" wide by 8" tall. This is the cover which I covered with an old piece of Asian paper I had that is like tissue paper. It was just big enough to go over the front and back and I used gold washi tape on the edges to protect it. The title is stamped with one of my favorite alpha stamp sets - a calligraphy one from Concord & 9th stamp company.  The little dangle on the side is one of the little "jade" charms we bought - it's traditional to get one for good luck in the coming year.  (This one is my husband's - a rabbit; mine is on my keychain - an ox.)




This is a view of the finished book.




Inside front cover and first page - I just added my packing list over the inked page.





Pages 2 & 3 with ephemera from the plane and first photos at the airport and in the streets of Hong Kong. The line of food on the right is cut from the menu on board and I used it as a pocket for our boarding passes.



Pages 4 & 5 are photos of Will's apartment and some of the first night walking around 
to see many of the Chinese New Year decorations in the streets.





Pages 5 & 6 detail our visits to Tai Kwun, PMQ and Nan Lian Garden and Nunnery.  The brochure front from the Garden opens out to reveal photos and journaling.



Page 7 is painted green and documents our Harbor Cruise viewing the evening light show over the harbor. Page 8 is painted red and has our tickets from the tram ride to Victoria Peak.


 Pages 9 & 10 are about lots of the foods we ate during the trip.


Pages 11 & 12 are for the first two days of Chinese New Year.  Page 11 has a "lycee" tip-in which is one of the red and gold envelopes that everyone uses for money gifts to children, relatives and also anyone who has given you service throughout the year (tips). Inside the envelope I added a tag with journaling. 


The tip-in opens to reveal photos of the amazing fireworks over the city the second night. We went up a hiking trail on a mountain with friends to have a great view (and champagne!). The journaling on the gold page underneath documents our failed attempt to see the famous Buddha and the parade on the first night.

Page 12 documents our ferry ride and visit to a small fishing village, Cheung Chau, where we ate much of the street food and saw many stalls of dried and fresh fish.



Pages 13 & 14 shows our day at the horse races (traditional for third day of Chinese New Year) and a day trip to Macau.



   On  page 13 I used the race program cover that folds down to reveal some of our pay-out tickets.  
                          I covered the page with the betting papers and added photos.




I used the cover of a Macau tourist map for the tip-in on page 14. I covered the back with origami papers and photos. On the page I placed several photos of Macau and a small "lycee" with our Turbo Jet Ferry tickets to the island along with a tag with more photos.




Page 15 (left) has an old red and gold paper from my stash, a photo and info about the Man Mo Temple in the middle of the city. I covered the inside covers with old Chinese newspapers and on the back cover I have photos of me "learning" Chinese calligraphy with gold ink from Master Dereck Kwok who had a little stand near the temple.



And I put the piece I did (that's my name in Chinese) inside a glassine bag which is just tucked inside the page.



I am glad I finished this in a timely manner. Even then I forgot some of the details about the trip!  It's nice to have all the mementos gathered in one place with journaling added. Years from now this will be a great keepsake to revisit.


1 comment:

Linda Manning Findley said...

Looks great and you really got it finished in record time ... also looks like you had a wonderful time ... glad you are home safe and sound