"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Monday, December 23, 2019

Tutorial - Using up scraps and extra book pages - journal cards

As you can imagine, when creating altered books and removing pages to eliminate bulk or when gutting a book to make a new journal you are left with many excess book pages. I have discovered a way to use and recycle these into a functional project - journal cards for junk journals or December Dailies, etc.

First, I always have a stack of book pages next to me when gluing projects. I lay the object being glued on top of the pages so extra glue stays off my work space. When the top page gets too "gluey," I fold it in half, lay it aside and continue with a new page.

To make journal cards, you can glue a few of these folded pages together and use them as a base for other scraps and images. Once they are completely collaged, you can leave them as rectangles or cut them into tags. You can staple or glue a folded piece of paper or fabric or lace or ribbon to the top for a tab. Or you can punch a hole and add ribbon or trims.

This is a great way to use up bits of paper, ribbons, stickers, word strips, fussy cuts, die cuts etc from your stash. These measure approximately 4-5 inches wide and 5-6 inches tall and are a great size for many uses.

I usually add a blank piece of book page (there are usually several at the front or back of books as well as sometimes at end of chapters) to the back to provide a blank space for journaling. I also sew a straight or zigzag stitch around the outer edge. This is not necessary as everything is glued, but it adds a decorative touch and finishes it off nicely.

Here are several Christmas ones I've done with scraps left over from my December Daily. I've added several to my book already. 









I hope you enjoyed this simple tutorial for using up book pages and your stash. It's always good to recycle!



1 comment:

Linda Manning Findley said...

Great Upcycling Susan ... they all turned out lovely