"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Friday, December 6, 2019

December Daily - let's begin

After a busy Thanksgiving weekend of travel and spending time with lots of family, I have been working on creating the foundation pages for my annual December Daily journal. 

I decided to switch it up a bit this year and change from a traveler's notebook style to a gutted hardcover book. I found a red book with a black spine at the dollar store to use.  I gathered different pieces of Christmas scrapbook paper and white mixed-media paper, folded them and sewed three signatures into the book spine using an easy three-hole pamphlet stitch. Here's the cover - I plan on keeping the red and black and will lightly decorate it when I'm finished so it won't get ruined.



This is the inside front cover. I  used scrapbook paper, acrylic words I bought last year at Tuesday Morning and some alpha stickers.

On the right is the first page. I used very old scrapbook paper for the background, a red doily and a tag pocket that I think I received in a swap a few years ago.


I made a slanted pocket on the left page using scrapbook papers (I'm trying to use up lots of old stash). I added a few handmade tags to the pocket, one listing my goals for December.

The right page is for the first day of December. I used a journaling card attached on the left with a washi tape hinge to document our Thanksgiving weekend, even though that was at the end of Nov.


These are the two tags I made for the pocket. The one on the left is an old receipt with washi tape across the top with a fabric flower and part of a napkin collaged on the bottom. The goals tag is cut from a piece of scrapbook paper that already had the lines and the design. I used alpha stickers for the title.



For Day 2 I made a side pocket on the left with two tags and a postcard I used for journaling. Between the pages is a poinsettia napkin.


On Day 3 not much was going on so I typed out an old German legend about the Christmas tree.  The tree embellishment at the bottom is 3D and was from a swap awhile ago. (I love being able to use old bits and pieces in this journal!) The number is on a little tag that dangles from the flower at the top of the tree.




Here's Day 4. It was my son-in-law's birthday so I used a journal card flip and underneath added photos of his little family celebration.  The horizontal strip is actually printed twill ribbon I found last year.



I'll be back with more in a few days!






3 comments:

Sue Kosec said...

ONE of these Decembers, I'm going to make one of these. Maybe. LOL.

You've done an outstanding job yet again. Be proud!

xo
SuZeQ

Linda Manning Findley said...

looks great ... I am going to try and make one of these this year ... I will be looking at yours to see how it's all done ... ;-)

Nancy Briges said...

Wht a treasure! Enjoy!