"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Monday, August 13, 2012

Altered Bottle

Another project I created for the recent Front Porch Kit is this altered bottle. I thought the colors and beach theme fit well and I even added a "message in a bottle" by rolling up a page from an old book and inserting it into the bottle.


I used alcohol inks to color inside the bottle, dripping them inside and rolling the bottle around until they dried.  The threads of the bottle neck are covered with silver metal tape and I inserted a cork covered with a piece of fiber from the kit.  Two stacked buttons are glued to the top of the cork.  I made several paper beads with the kit's printed papers and threaded them, along with some of the beads from the kit, onto fibers tied around the neck. I also stamped a starfish on shrink plastic and wired it to the top of the bottle.

I used Viva Decor Inka Gold on the metal filigree piece and glued it to the side of the bottle and added an old photograph of my mother-in-law and her friend (circa 1935). I glued crushed shells, blue glass beads and some gathered net trim to the base.  The coral seashell is a portion of an accordion-folded rosette topped with one of the beads from the kit.


I loved using some of the kit contents in a unique way - a little "out of the box" from the usual paper projects.

2 comments:

Linda Manning Findley said...

really pretty ... would be good make-n-take or workshop project ... Linda F

Robin said...

This is so stunning Susan! Your colors are beautiful and all the details, including the message, are perfect for your beach theme.

Hugs,
Robin