"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Flip/Swing Card and a Tutorial

I belong to an online group that hosts swaps throughout the year. For March, we had a flip/swing card mingle where we had to make one card and send to a designated person; a different person sends their card to you.  This is the card I made for Ellen, which I hope she will enjoy.


If you search online you can find numerous tutorials for this type of card. There are even dies that will cut the swinging part of the card but I wanted to create the opening myself. I found a You Tube tutorial by Darlene DeVries here which uses an extra fold and that's what I used as my inspiration.

I started with a 4 1/4" x 11" piece of green cardstock and stamped a background stamp all over one side. The strip is then scored at the halfway point (5 1/2") to be used later when you fold up the card. Then it is scored at 2 3/4" and 3 3/4" to make the folds for the cut opening.  You can use any dies - I used the Spellbinders Petite Scalloped Ovals set which includes 6 different sizes so you can layer.

To cut without cutting totally through the card, open the strip and center the die over the 2 3/4" score mark. Add removable tape so the die doesn't shift. Place die and card into diecutting machine with the edge of the top plate at 3 3/4" score mark and run through machine. This cuts only one section. Turn card around and place the edge of the top plate at the 2 3/4" score mark. Again, run through machine and this will cut the other section of the shape, leaving the 1" section between the score marks uncut. This allows the cut shape to swing.


For the bird stamp, I colored directly on the stamp with three colors of Ranger Distress Markers, misted with water and then stamped. "Soar" was stamped with black Archival ink. This piece was glued to the back of the scalloped oval that will actually be the front when you fold the card. With the same ink, I stamped the sentiment on a smaller ivory cardstock diecut and glued it on the other side of the scalloped oval. (These stamps are all from a CTMH clear stamp set.)  I also added tiny pearls to the front and back of the ovals and a blank diecut to the inside of the card for writing a greeting and.


 This type of card is easy to make and is a fun card to send. Try one yourself!

No comments: