"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Art Journaling with Gelatos and Fabrics

Here's another art journal page I worked on recently. This was for a sample for the April Art Journaling class last week in which we explored more techniques using gelatos and incorporating fabrics in different ways.  For this page I glued overlapping torn muslin strips with gel medium to the background to form the dress skirt. I also added a small strip of burlap for the waistband. Once everything was dry, I used gelatos on the dress as well as the entire page.  The title was created from some really old alpha stickers and washi tape forms the border to frame the page.




Here you can see a closeup of the great texture from the two fabrics. 



I used one of my favorite gelato techniques on the background. Gelatos in one or more colors are applied to the surface; then you lay down a stencil (here I used a harlequin pattern) and wipe through the stencil with a baby wipe to remove the color from those areas. This looks best when done randomly and adds visual texture.

No comments: