"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Documented Life Project - Week 38

Still in the September theme of journaling with photos...

Week 38 - Sept. 19
Art Challenge: Using a Silhouette
Journal Prompt: "There is no shadow without light"



For this spread I searched "silhouettes" online until I found this image of a little boy jumping. Since I am knee-deep in little grand boys, I decided to use this!

For the background I blended Distress paints until it looked somewhat like a sunset. For more texture I used the same paints through a few stencils over like colors so it would be subtle. I imported the image into my Silhouette machine and created a cut file. I used that as a stencil with black gesso. (Did you know that black gesso is more opaque and darker than black paint?) I also brushed the gesso across the bottom of the page to ground the image and used light vertical brushstrokes for grass. The flowers are from a Tim Holtz stencil - I just used a few and the tops only.

I finished the page with very old rub-ons (love using up old supplies) and some uppercase gold alpha stickers. I'm happy with the result and will always think of my boys when I see it.

1 comment:

Sue Kosec said...

Love this one, Susan! When I saw the boy, I instantly knew your grandsons were the inspiration.

You've convinced me to get off the fence and buy some black Gesso!

Happy crafting
xo
SuZeQ