Here's a simple card I made today for a friend's upcoming wedding. I used the Cuttlebug heart embossing folder on the front and used a Martha Stewart punch on both sides of the strip I attached to the left side. The wedding cake is a Michael's $1 stamp which I embossed in silver and layered on a scalloped silver metallic square. Sorry for the shadows in the poor scan - scanner doesn't like lumpy bows or white on white!
I finished the first of my six altered cabinet cards for a swap with an online group. Cabinet cards are formal photograph portraits from the 1870's to the 1920's. They are usually on a single panel of stiff cardboard or matboard and sometimes have a decorative embossed or printed frame. Usually the name of the photography studio is printed on the front. They do not have an easel back so were typically propped on a cabinet or sideboard, hence the name.
For the swap, we are to make six altered cabinet cards and will receive six different ones back. I could not bring myself to use the original, so made a copy and mounted it on heavy matboard, approximately 4" x 6". I gessoed around the figure and then randomly swiped several blue acrylic paints over the gesso. Then I tore text from a book and glued pieces in several places. Next I stamped some swirls in blue ink and some text in brown and gessoed over this lightly. I stamped snowflakes with gesso and sprinkled glitter on while wet. Final touches are the words made with a label maker, a crown punched from silver paper and covered with Stickles and some Stickles along the bottom.
This was so much fun - can't wait to get to the other five!