"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Altered Clothing Tags

What do you do with the hang tags on clothing you purchase? Throw them away? No! I save any unusually shaped or interesting tags - they can be altered and reused!

I participated in a local challenge where we had to use at least one clothing tag and alter it into something else. These were the two tags I decided to use. The Carole Little tag came from a dress (several years ago!) and is a very sturdy chipboard. I don't even remember what the silver tag came from but I saved it knowing that it would be fun to use sometime.


About the same time as the deadline fo this challenge, one of my daughters announced her engagement. So, I wanted to make a little something for her to say congratulations. This was the result.


I painted the black tag, added a scrap of music (appropriately named) from a hymnal and a copy of a recent photo of the couple. The heart and date were stamped and the tag was edged with silver Krylon leafing pen.
The little silver tag was recessed, so I stamped the love stamp, inked it green and cut it to fit in the tag. Then I filled the recess with Glossy Accents and added the silver heart brad while it was wet.
I added the ribbon that is imprinted "congratulations" and glued a magnet to the back so they can hang it on their frig. It was a fun little project and saved these items from the landfill - a green project in more ways than one!

4 comments:

Robin said...

What a great idea for those tags! Your tag looks absolutely fabulous Susan!

Vicki Chrisman said...

Bravo girl!!! I love what you did with these!

Diann said...

I love what you did with the tags and it will be a treasure your daughter will always keep! Diann

printed clothing labels said...

I like your idea of using those tags in a more useful way. You are really so creative.