"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Thursday, January 7, 2010

More gifties

One of my art group friends made each of us in the group (11!) these goodies for Christmas. She decorated paint cans and then filled them with the personalized apron and a little decorated notebook, perfect for your purse or in the car. Thank you so much Trisha!


And now that the Christmas classes are finished, I can show some of the ones I designed. This is a banner using Graphic 45 papers, text pages, coffee filters, glittered balls and lots of different-textured ribbons. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but the fireplace mantel (isn't it gorgeous?) was a garage sale find for store display. It was dark with a shiny lacquered finish. We all decided it should be "shabbier" looking, so I started sanding away. That helped, but it still needed something more. Can you guess what was used? Fired Brick Distress Ink!! It added some subtle highlights and looked great. Not sure if you can see it in these photos, but it's there!






3 comments:

Barbara Hagerty said...

WOW! Susan, you are the queen of refinishing! If you haven't done so already, you need to let Tim Holtz know what you did with the distress ink! He'll LOVE it!! This is really gorgeous!

Nancy B said...

The mantle and the garland are so cool! I love them both!

SewPaperPaint said...

Super cool, Susan! I wish I could have taken this class! I wish I would have found this garage sale find!!! I wish I were in TX to see it for myself.
Wishfully thinking,
Autumn Clark :)