"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Art Journaling Workshop

I recently signed up for Christy Tomlinson's online art journaling workshop, "She Has 3 Hearts", and have worked my way through all the videos.  It has been very inspiring and motivating.  Since I've been off for a few days and have been trying to keep cool (110 today!), I've been playing in my art journal.

This first page is done with acrylic paints (regular craft, heavy-bodied, and fluid) on a gessoed background, along with a bit of stamping.  It's similar to one she demoed on a video but I need to work a bit on my paint technique. I used an old credit card to swipe the paint across the background, but I think I used too much paint. I prefer a more random look.  And that's what art journaling is all about - learning and playing and enjoying the process rather than focusing on the finished outcome.



For the second page I started with my Ranger paint dabbers.  I own six, but as luck would have it, three were totally dry and the other three barely came out. So the background was very light and is not even visible now.  Then I used a mist over a stencil (turquoise) and added other mists with a brush (orange and green).  The music and circles are stamped with ink and paint.  Christy had one video showing how to make these adorable flowers with yarn, floss and Mod Podge directly on the page, so that's what I did!


I have several more pages started and at various stages of completion, awaiting further inspiration!  This is such a fun, relaxing way to spend a hot summer day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These are looking great. Keep On Journaling!

DeeDee said...

These are looking great Susan....I think I had that workshop and never did get back to watch it... UGH!.... love your altered pages

Gaby Bee said...

These journal pages are gorgeous! Love your color choices!

Gaby

Linda Manning Findley said...

oh good job and looks like you are having lots of fun ..... Linda F

April Hummert said...

I'm taking the same class right now. That top page with the three hearts is BEAUTIFUL! Love them both, but the top is my favorite :)