"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Granny's cabinet

This cabinet belonged to my husband's grandmother and we acquired it over 40 years ago. It has always graced either our kitchen or laundry room wherever we've lived. Though I loved it because it was hers and because it's a cute piece, I always hated the bad stain job covering not-so-wonderful wood. But I knew it would be a bear to either refinish or paint because of the bleeding stain. And it was! 

BEFORE



Again, I used chalk paint but because of the bleeding issue I ended up having to do several coats of an oil-based (yuck) primer/sealer first. Once the hard work was done I painted two coats of white inside and two coats of a pale robin's egg blue color on the outside. This resides in my laundry room holding cookbooks and miscellaneous so I went with a color that I just loved and didn't have to match anything! I dry-brushed the original hardware with white paint.

AFTER

Looks a little washed out because of the daylight streaming in the garage

Better idea of actual color

I am in love! I think this is one of my most favorite painted pieces ever!

And because I had a bit of paint leftover, I painted this old end table of my parents that we've had forever to go with my new colors in my bedroom. When I pulled it out of the attic two legs were off and I had to do a bit of repair. It's not perfect but it will do. ) I had just enough paint and used a dark gel stain on the top. I think the little feet are brass so when I have more time I will try to polish them a bit. After doing the above cabinet, this was a piece of cake!

BEFORE



AFTER







No comments: