"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Thursday, June 27, 2019

More furniture redos

I've painted several of our end tables and a coffee table. 

I used a DIY chalk paint on these as you only have to sand lightly, paint and then add a topcoat - no primer necessary unless there is stain bleed-through.  (I researched several sites for a DIY chalk paint recipe - some use Plaster of Paris - but the consensus seemed to favor adding calcium carbonate to regular flat latex paint which I bought on Amazon. I bought sample sizes of paint from Home Depot which are under $4 for 8 oz and had enough to do several coats on several tables.)

On the table tops I used General Finishes Gel Stain in Java. Here again you need only sand very lightly, wipe on the stain and then wipe off. Instead of usual stains that soak into the wood, this stays on top much like paint. It took several coats with a day's dry time between each. Then I used several coats of water-based polyacrylic to seal. I also replaced the knobs.

BEFORE 
(I had no idea this one's finish was in such bad shape and didn't intend to sand down to bare wood, but it came off in seconds!)



DURING


AFTER (Version 1-off white)


VERSION 2 - very pale gray-green



BEFORE 
(I'd already painted a coat on the bottom portion before remembering to take a photo.)



AFTER


BEFORE


AFTER




BEFORE



AFTER

1 comment:

Linda Manning Findley said...

wonderful ... you are doing such a super job and refinishing and coordinating furniture ...