"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Saturday, June 29, 2019

China Cabinet Redo

        


When we downsized to our townhouse 13 years ago, we had to get rid of our antique dining table, buffet and matching china cabinet. But I needed something for all our china and crystal. We already had a light pine farmhouse-style kitchen table and chairs and I couldn't believe I found this piece on Craig's List which matched perfectly!

I've wanted to paint or refinish both for years, but knew it would be a big job and procrastinated. Fast forward to now and it was the right time!  I started with the cabinet because it's contents were all still packed in boxes and I wanted to get them settled. The table will come later.

This was a big job which took most of a week including dry times. Luckily I didn't have to strip it and just lightly sanded. I also didn't need to use primer. I used two coats of my DIY chalk paint in off-white for the entire cabinet and then used the gray-green left over from one of the end tables for inside the upper portion. The top has three coats each of Java gel stain and polyacrylic. The rest of the piece has two coats of a wipe-on clear topcoat. The before photo doesn't show the original wooden knobs which I intended to replace. But after determining that I would need 16 I opted to spray them with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze paint.

AFTER
(So much better than the stained pine - see portion of table in photo)








I am very pleased with the results! I'm dreading doing the six chairs with spindle-backs when I do the table. Right now I'm taking a break and thinking of investing in a sprayer before tackling that!

As you read this, I will be returning to Austin (spent four days there last weekend babysitting for the grands). Our son is coming in from Hong Kong and has a short weekend to see everyone between work schedules. It'll be a quick overnight but will be good to see him again.

No comments: