"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Painting, but not art

It's the domino effect - you know, once you start something it just keeps leading to more things...

When we were first married I painted and refinished a lot of furniture as we couldn't afford new and had to furnish with thrifted and garage sale/estate sale pieces. I always enjoyed it but then along came children and activities and no time! Fast forward to now and our remodel.

 I decided to try painting the guest bath vanity as the bid was for over $400 to paint a four-door, two-drawer vanity! I figured if I messed up we could always have them do it.  I researched lots of DIY blogs and YouTube channels (what did we ever do without the Internet?) and finally decided on using chalk/mineral paint. The reason? Very little prep needed - just cleaning and very light sanding - and also low-to-no VOCs (toxic fumes) so working inside would be no problem.  The project turned out great.

Here's the before:



And after:
The paint is actually a medium gray but it looks almost blue in some lights.

While I was at it, I painted the little shelf (from blue and brown to white and gray) and the light fixture to a brushed nickel to match the new faucet.

I forgot to take a before pic until I had already started painting.





And this motivated me to keep painting!  I had several reasons to do so:

1) I had to be home for the workmen and didn't have much space to do anything,
2) Most of the furniture had been emptied and was already in the garage,
3) With the new dark wood floor, all our dark furniture was going to be overwhelming,
4) No money to replace our 20+ years old furniture.

Stay tuned for my first project in the next post!                                                                  


1 comment:

Linda Manning Findley said...

Great job Susan ... want to come to my house my cabinets could use a facelift ... looking forward to seeing what you do next