"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Saturday, July 26, 2008

I'm back

I think I'm finally back in the swing of things. It seems like I've been going non-stop since over a week ago.


Our whirlwind trip this week took us to San Francisco for one night and then on to Chicago for one night before returning home. Our son turned 32 on July 23 so we went to dinner with him and met his girlfriend of 6 months. Early the next morning we were on to Chicago where we had dinner with three of our daughters and one boyfriend. And then at 4 am on Thursday we left for home! Our other daughter had a three-hour layover at DFW airport on Monday afternoon on her way to Argentina, so I also had dinner with her that night. So, how many people can say they had dinner with all 5 of their children in three different cities all over the US in three days? Glad I went, but am exhausted.


We only had a few daylight hours in SF but luckily our hotel was within a few blocks of a super store, Britex Fabrics. This fabric store has been around for over 50 years and takes up all four floor of its building. I had visited it some 20 years ago and it hasn't changed much since then. Although they aren't inexpensive, you can find probably just about any fabric, notion or ribbon in this store. The first floor housed woolens, cottons, linens, etc; second floor was devoted to home dec fabrics; third floor (my fav) was all ribbons, buttons and notions - walls and walls of them; and the top floor had remnants, faux furs, leathers etc.


Here is a postcard I picked up to give you an idea of the eye candy this place offers - beautiful and arranged by color.

I was so overwhelmed that this is all I bought - two darling ribbons I've never seen before. You really need to go prepared with a list! The top ribbon is like a measuring tape and pleated - love red and white. The other one I couldn't resist since I am in a round robin book swap and one of the themes is "cupcakes."

No comments: