"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Thursday, May 8, 2014

DIY Enamel Dots

Type in "DIY enamel dots" on You Tube and you will come up with a bunch of sites showing how to make these.  My husband was out of town all day yesterday so I decided to make some (didn't want to have to explain why I was baking the beads our kids used to play with eons ago!).

I had found a small bag (only 400!) of perler beads (also called pony beads, but they are a bit larger) at the dollar store so I had plenty to work with.  Mine were actually called pony beads and I had learned that you should bake them at 400 degrees for about 8 to 10 minutes.  "They" also said that the pony beads smelled bad while baking, so I took my toaster oven out to the patio and baked there.  I put a piece of parchment paper on the tray and arranged the beads with the holes at the top and with some room between each bead. Then I started baking. I timed it for 8 minutes, but they weren't done until about 10 minutes.  They flatten out and the hole disappears.


I forgot to take photos along the way, but these were my finished beads. You can see that about 2/3 of them turned out. Maybe I didn't leave them in long enough. The red, yellow, dark blue and some of the green didn't bake perfectly round and some still have dimples at the top. The white and pink and lighter blue came out really well! I also didn't space some of them far enough apart, but this was a trial run. The good ones look just like the ones you can buy!

So, if you have any leftover from your kids and want to have a bit of fun, go try this out! 

Now, I must run - it's almost midnight and I still have to pack and then get up at 4 am to catch a flight to Albuquerque. We will be with two of our daughters and our two grand boys over the weekend to celebrate Mother's Day. 

An early Happy Mother's Day to all of you! See you again next week.

No comments: