"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Textured Art Journal Page - Start to Finish

Last Thursday I posted this textured art journal page (see more here). I used more than 30 products/textures on this page and, since I always like to see the process behind a project, I thought I would share that with you.

So here's the final page.

It all started with a "clean up" page where I clean off my paintbrush or stencils and use later as a base of a page.


Painted pink then added drywall tape and some torn book pages.


Heavy gel medium through a chevron stencil.


Tulle stapled on and heated with heat gun to create holes;  hot glue designs (lower right)


Whipped Spackle (Faber Castell) through punchinella and Tim Holtz tissue wrap glued in places (music and text)


Punched and die cut paper flowers and tissue tape


 Diamond stamp heat embossed with white embossing powder


 Dimensional paint (red) through alpha stencil; satin ribbon, torn edge of notebook paper and lace (middle left)


Small chipboard flowers and gold-painted scrap of corrugate



Doily, masking tape (upper and lower edges), burlap and embossed paper scraps (dark pink pieces on right side)


Puzzle piece and two old floral stickers


Gesso through stencil (lower left above flower, to left of upper flower and to left of doily) and a torn ticket


Button, glass bauble and hole reinforcers


Covered all with Silks Acrylic Glaze in pink and gold and added rubons and black stamping


Highlighted raised areas with more gold paint


Added focal point - black Clearly For Art (Ranger/Wendy Vecchi moldable plastic) on which the butterfly was stamped in gold


I just realized my "final" photo of the page does not include a piece of heavy thread that I looped and stapled in place over the page. 

So there you have 30+ textures on one page (think I counted 34 in all)! Hope you will try this yourself - it would make an awesome canvas as well. It's so fun to keep adding more texture!

1 comment:

Sue Kosec said...

WOW - you sure have patience ... and love to play. Way to go, Susan - good job!
SuZeQ