"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

More Texture!

Still playing with loads of texture in my art journal. This is a double-page spread I created a few days ago. It's very textural! Take a look at the step-by-step photos I managed to take while making this. I have found it helpful to take photos along the way because often you can't remember what you did!

Here's the final spread:


And the process photos:
started with pages that had been previously painted and stained

added masking tape and gesso randomly applied with palette knife

added crumpled white tissue paper while gesso still wet

closeup showing tissue paper texture - also you can see where the distress stain (yellow) reactivated


joint tape added - love that texture
next came Whipped Spackle through a stencil (you can still see the yellow stain soaking through), raspberry and peacock Distress paints, torn book pages with blue gelato and white paint, and bubble wrap "stamped" on with white paint
hard to see in this pic, but I added bits of torn cheesecloth (see closeup below)

chipboard letters, painted and embossed with UTEE for extra texture

white fabric heart, a corrugate heart and added a "flower" cut from painted and heated Tyvek

here is a photo of the strip of Tyvek (used in construction but also is what the white, fibrous mailing envelopes are made of, recycled from PO) that I painted with metallic paint and heated with a heat gun  - can you see the "flower" shape just right of center?

I ended up cutting three flowers out of the Tyvek and added beads to all the centers

final step was adding twine to the three corrugate hearts
So there you have the anatomy of my page. In all, I think I used a total of about 20 textures! 





No comments: