"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Altered Book Pages

I'm going to Austin this weekend to babysit my three and six year old grand boys but thought I'd post this before leaving. I've been back working in my altered book and having fun creating more pages.

I did this set of three pages quite awhile ago but never posted it. The center page has an acetate window. It allows the images to be seen from each side.

left page

center page with acetate window

right page

The background was made with texture paste through a stencil then painted with black gesso once dry.  After that was dry I rubbed metallic paste waxes over the high points.  The images are some of the "free insert pages" from old Stampington magazines.

This spread has a cavity cut from several pages glued together on the left side. I glued in a photo of two children, then added a printed acetate piece over the opening and glued another page on top with a window cut out.  The right page has a "flip book" with four pages.  I used Lorri Marie Jenkins' instructions on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDpRRaENGVE




back of first page and the second page of the flip book
back of second page and third page of flip book

back of third page and last page

The background has a base of collaged book pages and colorful scraps covered with a heavy coat of white gesso. Before the gesso dried I placed a magazine page on both sides, rubbed it and pulled it away to create texture. Then I rubbed them with Distress Inks.

I have a few more spreads to share when I return.




2 comments:

Linda Manning Findley said...

Love the fact you are working Altered Books and the things you are doing in them ... so much like the things I taught several years ago ... that first 3-page spread is stunning ... great job Susan

Sue Kosec said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Susan. I love this. I have that (first) stencil but have never thought about using black gesso. Must try. Thanks for the inspiration (always!)

Have a great babysitting trip!
xo
SuZeQ