"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Thursday, March 14, 2019

What to do with a placemat

I saw a YouTube video on making a makeup bag from a placemat and I've been in the mood to sew, so I did just that! I bought one Pioneer Woman placemat from Walmart for about $3.50 - I love her designs but they don't go with my kitchen decor. This is a great use for the pretty placemat so I can see it often when I'm traveling.  (If you're interested in making one yourself, check out the complete, very detailed instructions in the video link above.)

This is the reversible placemat I used. I forgot to take a photo before starting, so this is from Walmart's website.



Here is the finished bag, which took less than an hour to make. The video shows lining the bag with a fusible vinyl but I wanted it to be machine-washable - and also didn't want to go buy more stuff.
Since the placemat had scalloped edges, I cut those off and squared it up. Then I added the zipper (which I had in my stash - perfect color, too), sewed up the sides and then created box corners so the bag has a flat bottom.





I love it - so cheerful and bigger than my current makeup bag. Can't wait to put it to use!

1 comment:

Liane said...

sooooo pretty, I love her cheery flowers !!!