"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Another kind of creativity


Here's a little project I worked on this past week. I saw instructions for dyeing with avocado pits in the latest Stampington Somerset Studio magazine.  We always have lots of avocados, so I wanted to give this a try.

 I thoroughly cleaned 4 pits and brought them to a boil in a saucepan. Then I simmered them for about an hour.

I placed various bits in a baking dish - muslin and canvas fabric pieces; manila tags; book pages; old ledger pages; music papers; and twill, lace and rayon ribbon strips. After straining the avocado solution, I poured it over everything in the dish and let it sit for at least an hour.


Doesn't that look luscious?

I carefully removed everything and placed them on paper towels to drain and dry.

Some of the papers laid out with varying degrees of dyed color.

Here are the remaining wet pieces - yummy variations of pink!



This is the stack all dried. The photo is a little washed out - they are a little more pink than shown. Everything except the manila tags took the dye well. I think the tags are coated so the dye didn't penetrate enough.


This was a fun experiment. Who knew that avocados would produce a pink dye! Now I want to try all kinds of things.  Not sure what I will do with these bits but they are pretty to look at!

No comments: