"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Catching up 2

Here's another past class - an inspiration journal made from a composition book. I used small squares of different patterned papers to cover both the front and back covers in a patchwork design. Then gesso was dry-brushed over to subdue and unify the patterns. Music paper was adhered to the spine, along with a punched brown strip for emphasis. It's tied with gold tulle with a little stamped tag pinned on. The title is a mix of alpha stamps, stamped on cream cardstock and heavily covered with Glossy Accents to look like clear tiles. "Journal" is part of a larger stamp which is stamped on a glimmer-misted wooden tag. The little brown tab is a functional decoration - a pen will fit. This was some elasticy "ribbon" that had wrapped a gift at one time (yes, I save most everything) that was perfect.

The back has more art words made from alpha stamps.
This is a peek inside the front cover and also shows an example of one of the divider pages. Patterned paper was adhered to the inside covers and the excess I cut off was used for pockets. The tag is stamped with a little art fairy stamp from Red Lead Studios which I love.



For divider pages, I tore two pages out of the book leaving about an inch at the spine. These pieces were glued together and then glued to the cardstock which was cut to size. I stamped all over with a very handy "stamp" - scrunched plastic wrap - for great texture! In the middle of each page I stamped various art stamps - this was a great project to use all those art-related stamps I collect. The tabs were made with a punch.
This was a fun project and I can't wait to start filling it with ideas.

1 comment:

Robin said...

This is just so ingenious Susan! I love the look of the gesso over the paper pieces and that elastic loop is another incredible idea.