"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Monday, January 19, 2009

Stamp Scrap Art Tour/CHA

My friend, Julie, and I went to the Stamp Scrap Art Tour in Mesquite, Texas, yesterday. It was very small and I was mainly interested in just two vendors - Stampers Anonymous and Mrs. O'Leary's/Artful Illusions. Neither disappointed me! SA had many new stamp sets from Teresa Collins, Wendy Vecchi and Tim Holtz. I bought one of the new Tim Holtz metallic crackle paints and several stamps. Mrs. O'Leary's always has a wonderful booth bursting with charms, ribbons and all kinds of doodads and "stuff." It is so hard to decide what to buy, especially if you don't have a specific project in mind. I managed to not do too much damage!

The crowd was very light, so light that I feared the vendors might not be doing well and decide not to return next year. I did hear, though, that Saturday was huge and one of their best days ever.

I have been disappointed in the last few stamp conventions. There seems to be no new "stuff", fewer vendors and even fewer crowds. The demos are all "reruns" of the same old, same old. It's time the stamp community comes up with a few new gadgets or techniques!! It's possible that the economy is having an effect, as well as the availability of Internet shopping, but I would hate to see the local conventions become a thing of the past. It's so invigorating and exciting to see products and samples in "real life" and to learn techniques and tips through in-person demos and make-n-takes.

I'm so excited that I get to attend the winter Craft and Hobby Association (CHA) trade show in Anaheim next week! I am hoping that lots of new products will debut there and I can't wait to see it all! I'll keep you posted..

1 comment:

Altered Route said...

Lucky You! I wish i could ride along in your pocket to CHA...
Enjoy yourself and I hope you see alot of NEW things!
Connie