"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mother's Day Shadowbox

This is a project I made for Mother's Day using a new Accucut "shadowbox" die. My friend, Vicki Chrisman, was the designer of this die, inspired by a vintage cabinet card. The die includes the trifold base piece, a frame and solid piece (shown on the right), the "shadowbox" frame overlay (center) and two decorative pieces (one shown under "mother" and the other above the photo). This is a very versatile piece - made with cardstock it folds into a card and several of the pieces can be used either as decoration as I've done or as a closure for the card.

I cut mine from chipboard to make a sturdy standing frame. It was covered with beautiful papers and I added a poem about mothers, flowers, lace, a doily, stamped vellum butterfly and buttons. The photograph is of my mother when she was about 9 or 10 years old. It fits inside the "shadowbox" and the top frame is done with bronze Ten Seconds Studio art metal.

Check out Vicki's blog, This Art That Makes Me Happy, to see more samples made with this die. If your LSS does not have this die, you can purchase very reasonable kits of three pre-cut patterned paper sets from Crafty Secrets.

1 comment:

Robin said...

This is just gorgeous Susan! Your colors and accents are beautifully done...as is all your work. I do recognize that sheet music cover :)